Monday, January 9, 2012

Peace

I heard a great message during the homily at mass yesterday. The congregation was encouraged to live life either relentlessly focused on the path to a Christ-centered life or to be the influence that leads others to Christ. His message was quite the zinger. It stuck with me and inspires me to strengthen my Christ-following journey. It also reminded me of the important message my Mary Kay director shared with me -- that perhaps I may be the only Bible a person reads.

Spiritual integrity is the most important kind of truth. I constantly remind myself that how I am here is how I am everywhere. If I’m to live a Christian life, I should always be Christ-like in any given situation. I have learned that where Jesus is, there is love. There is forgiveness. There is healing.

God’s timing is impeccable. The inspiring message I heard was tested hours after hearing the sermon. It’s as if God was testing my listening and application skills. My husband and I took our son to a children’s birthday party. I was completely caught off guard by a person who never cares to see my family happy or successful in this life. Both my husband and I were spoken down to and publicly humiliated in front of family, our son and other innocent bystanders. It was awful.

Instead of retaliating and fighting the fire with fire, we were at peace. We remained rational and calm. We replied peacefully and respectfully honoring the irrational wishes of the person who confronted us. Whether or not we deserved that kind of treatment, we remained dignified and I’m forever grateful for the divine intervention that gave us the strength to humble ourselves. After that embarrassing episode, I remembered to keep the peace. After all, we may have been the only positive influence this individual had. I wasn’t about to let go of the spiritual integrity I pray to always have. I gave in to goodness and wish for nothing but peace. If anything, I pray for that person whose misery was so obvious. It was sad to hear this person tell us off. But it was more empowering to just be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment