Monday, January 23, 2012

World's Greatest Dad

Now that I’m expecting my second child with a healthy start to my second trimester, I’d like to take this time to give props to my husband, or more fittingly, the world’s greatest dad.



He is amazing to say the least. I’ve written before that my success with breastfeeding my son, Isaac, for nearly 10 months was largely due to my husband’s support and encouragement. For all of you dads out there, I hope you can either relate to what I’m about to share or perhaps find inspiration as you help raise your offspring with the mother of your child(ren).

My husband has experienced pregnancy, a miscarriage, labor/Cesarean delivery, and postpartum issues right along with me. He’s had to endure watching me squirm out of physical discomfort. He’s had to play my bedside lactation consultant each time I wanted to give up when breastfeeding seemed nearly too painful to go on. He played the role as my psychiatrist when I had the emotionally draining bouts of postpartum depression. Nowadays, he’s my nighttime nanny who takes round-the-clock care for my 11-month-old boy. Even after each strenuous 9-hour workday, he takes on all responsibilities and chores just so I can be snuggled in bed early each night.

But I must say, the biggest help is the simple fact that he believes in the power of prayer. In every situation, he applies spiritual wisdom so that things don’t ever seem unmanageable or too difficult to endure. He always has hope in the future and growing love for our Lord Jesus Christ. If it weren’t for his unshakeable faith in God, I am convinced he wouldn’t be the beautiful man he is.

In fact, several friends and family that have witnessed the dynamic between father and his son have approached me astounded by how much my husband does for his family. People have said just how blessed I am to have a husband so loving, so nurturing, and so selfless that his greatest attributes shine like never before when he deals with our son. I’ve even been told that I appear well rested although I’m a new mom with a bun in the oven. If that is true, that’s only because my husband works tirelessly to make sure I’m first priority and my son is always cared for.

He totally stepped up and put aside his hobbies and personal time after my son was born. As a lifelong fitness fanatic, he hasn’t set foot in a gym more than twice since he became a father. He waited years and years to invest in a mountain bike and he once took to the trails so happily and free-spirited. After becoming a daddy, he hasn’t touched his mountain bike in almost a year. The few nights he decides to hang with the guys, he cuts his night out short to be home with mom and baby. With all of this, he has NEVER complained...not once! When it comes to his wife and his son, no job is left undone nor is any request ever a bother. Seriously, this man has never complained even with my ridiculous demands!

He’s my hero and never did I think God would bless me so abundantly. I’ve been wretched in many ways and ungrateful in more ways than I care to admit. But I know God’s grace is always so good. The Lord, for some reason, feels that I deserve a man who undeniably treats me like a queen.

Thank you, Honey for all that you do. Because of you, I look forward to the children we may be fortunate enough to raise. Because of you, nothing seems impossible to bear. You are my rock and the very reason I care to be the best at everything expected of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment