Monday, March 29, 2010

Leaving the dream job - a total big girl move









I praise God for the amazing path He's given me to follow. I have experienced a glamorous profession with celebrities, nationwide travel, VIP parties and exquisite events galore. I've met high profile figures that some people would be so honored to meet. I've worked directly with celebrities that would make people act a fool in their presence. I've seen it. I've done it. Praise God, I'm alive to tell about it.

Below is one of the most difficult emails I have ever sent to anyone.

From: "Rowena Sapunto"
To: "Mark Cuban"
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:55:01 -0500
Subject: RS Resignation

Mark,

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for this incredible opportunity to
be a part of your team for more than three years now.

You've inspired me, pushed me, taught me and now I have to make my next
move.

A lot is happening within my family and in life, and I feel now is the
time to devote myself entirely to others. This was a hard decision to make
because you know how much I love working here.

Thanks for taking a chance on me. I hope we keep in touch.

All my best,

Rowena
******

To say I took a leap of faith is an understatement. I know there are many people (including my mother) who think I lost my mind when I decided to resign from my coveted dream job at Mark Cuban Co's. Everyone thinks I'm insane to have voluntarily left because their perception is the polar opposite of my reality.

I was blessed to be mentored by a dynamically ingenious self-made billionaire entrepreneur in a job capacity that NEVER seemed like work. I constantly reminded MC just how much fun I was having. But over two years into my three-year tenure, I became unhappy. I was so disturbed about my career path and professional development (or lack thereof) because I wasn't fulfilled. Sure, I was experiencing the text book definition of fulfillment -- I was satisfied at achieving my desires. But lo and behold, I was NEVER truly fulfilled. As MC's devoted employee, I was never wholly completed to perfection.

Let me set the record straight...I was NEVER Cuban's assistant, nor was I ever his assistant's assistant. I was personally hired by Mark in 2006 because he knew I knew marketing communications, and I believe he took a chance on my ambition and respect for his business acumen. He loved that I loved what he stood for, he saw that I respected his efforts and I was always on board with his fanaticism for business, technology and sports. He knew I was a bad-ass and any company would be a fool not to hire someone as hungry for unparalleled success as me.

On July 29, 2009 (one month after my 3-year anniversary at Cuban's company) I knew I needed to give it all up in order to be truly fulfilled. I was at that amazing job for no one but me. I cherished the prestige. I reveled in the fame and glam that came along with my job description. I was willing to sacrifice family time to answer every email so I can ensure I was always available. I was in it for no one but me. I wanted the fame. I wanted the glory. I wanted to be so far from what is ultimately God's purpose for me.

So...after a lot of praying and with a lot of unquestionable support from my loving husband, I took a leap of faith and said "Peace out, MC. Thanks for everything, but now I've gotta go and be a big girl in a big world -- one much bigger than me."

No comments:

Post a Comment