Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are

I've heard great advice about the company you keep. I work with a woman in Mary Kay who was the former VP of Marketing for Michael Jordan, the great NBA basketball player. She said Michael shared some valuable insight into the people she purposely surrounded herself with. First Michael imparted that you should NOT take advice from people you wouldn't trade bank accounts with. Secondly, he believes you will become the sum of the 5 people you surround yourself with.

Take a look around you and the people you consider near and dear to your heart. Are these the beloved ones that you regularly surround yourself with? If so, do you admire how they push you to be your best and praise you to success? If so, great! You're blessed to have caring people who will applaud you when you fulfill those hard to reach goals.

I stumbled upon another great verse in the Bible honoring the value of great friends. "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm (Proverbs 13:20)." This verse truly speaks to my heart, and it forces me to take a hard look at the company I keep.

As I've written in previous posts, God has shown me through the actions and reactions of others who my true friends are. It's painfully alarming to see God revealing the truth in people's hearts. But I am forever grateful that God has shown me who praises me to success and who truly cares for my happiness. It's beautiful, and it's been a life-changing experience to see the caring folks reach out to a friend in need. It's been a HUGE blessing to let go of the friends who only care to kick you when you're down...in more ways than one.

So today I stand here passionately proud of the company I have chosen to keep. These friends will soon hear of more miraculous blessings and the success God has bestowed upon my family and myself. For those I don't consider wise in their own lives and personal choices, all I can do is pray for them and for their hearts. I can only hope they surround themselves with people who truly care for their well being. I can only hope they surround themselves with people who's lifestyle choices would make them either want to trade bank accounts or are the kind of people they want to become the sum of.

No comments:

Post a Comment