Friday, July 2, 2010

The Prosperity Gospel

I recently learned about the Prosperity Gospel and I'm doing further research on the topic. In the Prosperity Gospel -- aka Word of Faith -- those who believe are encouraged to use God rather than allow God to use the believer. It's also the belief that if you are "successful" in life then God is with you. From what I understand, the Prosperity Gospel is the antithesis of how Christianity is defined in the Bible.

In opposition to the Prosperity Gospel, Christian believers should seek the power of the Holy Spirit to live according to God's will...not according to convenience or primarily for your gain. Following the Word of Faith doctrine, faith cannot be viewed as such for this demands wholeheartedly trusting in God. Instead, Word of Faith uses spirituality to control the universe. Some argue "this movement teaches that faith is a matter of what we say more than whom we trust or what truths we embrace and affirm in our hearts." (referenced in Christianity in Crisis: 21st Century by Hank Hanegraaff via gotquestions.org) Interestingly enough, even in the Bible we are warned against those who may follow this doctrine of faith and even Paul the apostle views practices like this as heresy. Reverting back to Prosperity teaching, followers do not let God work on His own. Moreover, this practice does not honor God as Lord of all because He cannot work until the believer allows Him to do so. However, I am a firm believer that prayer doesn't change God...prayer changes me.

I cared enough to look into biblical interpretations as I stumbled upon (www.gotquestions.org) and (http://bible.logos.com). Paul warned Timothy about evil in wrongful faith practices. In 1 Timothy 6:9, Paul warns of men who assumed godliness was a means of gain and their desire for riches was a trap that brought them “into ruin and destruction.” Yikes...

Making an effort to understand the Prosperity Gospel is what brought me to look further into the verse listed above. I think about my own privileged and blessed life these past 28 years. At an early age, I was taught the importance of spiritual wisdom and having faith that God's ruling hand controls our fate. I've been blessed with more times of happiness than times of trials. Growing up, I had it pretty easy. In high school and college, I was quite privileged. In those times of "easy living," I truly felt God was with me because I had it so great.

But looking back to any times of sadness or difficulty, I can't say that I fully believed God was carrying me through any pain or discomfort. It's not that I thought HE left me, I just didn't acknowledge HIS presence and guidance through whatever storm I was weathering. After a while, I may have been convinced that having all of these blessings in my life, for all of my life, was when God was really working. When God blesses me with gifts and happiness, then HE must really be there. But when the going gets tough, I failed to acknowledge HIS guiding light and instead would rely on my own understanding and inner strength to pull me out of that predicament.

I always thought God was omnipresent when I was successful in life. I hate to admit, but I almost felt as if HE wasn't there unless I asked him to be there. Looking back, I would every now and then give my Lord in the heavens just a passing glance. I somehow convinced myself, "don't worry, God. I got this."

Then a tumultuous storm came, and for a while, I chose to fall into the darkest of waters by relying on no one else but my evil self. I was in true self-denial after convincing myself that I had it all under control. I believed I was in control. I didn't want to rely on God's warnings or His guiding light to break me away from sinful habits. I wanted what I wanted and let nothing get in my way. I controlled what I mistakenly thought was mine to manipulate. It was a terrifying place to be, and I'm now left to pick up after myself and the detritus I left behind.

Relying on yourself is dangerous...I know from lessons learned the hard way. It's only now that I'm understanding that I encouraged wrongfully using God rather than wholeheartedly allowing Him to use me. I have grown up to know that as Christians, we MUST let go and let God. I struggled to understand that fundamental concept. Only now am I beginning to explore it because only now am I looking to something greater than my own understanding to lead the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment