Thursday, November 11, 2010

No greater love than to be selfless

When I was in college, I sang a solo for two consecutive years during the Lenten season. The song is entitled “No Greater Love” by Rachael Lampa. But I will admit that I can never claim to have sung such a powerful song with the effortless musicality that Rachael does. Anyway, I’m reminiscent of this song after having had another inspiring devotional moment with my husband this morning. We’ll never understand how great love can be than to willingly lay down our own lives for our friends.

Today’s devotional reading discusses the power and merciful grace of selfless love. As a very self-centered, attention-hoarding individual that I am, selfless love is something I’m still trying to accept and apply in my daily life. I’m blessed to say that my husband standing by me and loving me unconditionally despite my mistakes and past is just a mere fraction of the kind of selfless love God gives to each of His children.

What really speaks to my heart today is the simplicity yet uniquely difficult challenge to give love in a selfless way. After all, I believe God did not create us to love selflessly by nature. How many of us can honestly say our loyalty is gripped by a genuine concern for others…before ourselves? I know in many instances, I cannot claim such a stance. But selfless love in merciful beauty shines through us in so many different ways.

For those animal lovers and pet owners who are guilty of treating our furry friends as equally important as our human companions, you all show a devout sense of selfless love.

For those philanthropists who deeply involve themselves in a cause to benefit the nameless many suffering from a debilitating disease, your efforts publicly display a selfless love.

For those mothers and fathers who work tirelessly ‘round the clock to support their children in their education, health and well-being, it’s no doubt you live selflessly for your child.

For the men and women bravely serving our county, your patriotism through your call of duty exudes a selfless love to the umpteenth degree.

…and so on and so forth…

Selfless love takes on so many different faces and so many different forms. The true beauty of God’s selfless love that He would like us to give to others as He always gives to us can take a lifetime for each of us to wonder why.

But take a moment today and challenge yourself to give and love selflessly. It doesn’t matter how big or how small the gesture may be. Put yourself second and put someone else above your priority. Although we’re not built to naturally do so, there is no greater love that you can show than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment