Thursday, October 21, 2010

I talk the big talk

Once again, daily devotionals humbled me completely. Yesterday’s Our Daily Bread devotional put me in my place. For those that know me, words are my life. I love words…I love strong words that they leave a lasting impression to the reader or audience. Not only do I love words in written form, but I talk the big talk. I’m sure people perceive me as arrogant and overly prideful in my daily word choice. People who enjoy simplicity don’t find that’s the case in my method of marketing communications. But believe me…I really just have a love of strong words!

In the sense of ministry, I’ve been reminded time and again that God doesn’t care for our excellence of speech by any means. Yesterday’s devotional discussed avoiding “lofty language” to elevate self-importance. In Paul’s letter to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 2:1,), he wrote that “when I came to you, [I] did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God.” Paul was a great man.

Last Sunday, I was the liturgist at Umphress Rd UMC. It was overwhelming because I had never been up at the altar reading aloud to the congregation. When I was asked to be liturgist, I was told I was a strong candidate for the position since my public speaking presence could be used to serve the Lord. I must admit, I was flattered and relied on my own sense of pride and confidence when speaking to a crowd. I figured, the Lord will carry me through this because He’s blessed me with the gift of communication and words.

It wasn’t until 30 minutes before I had to face the congregation was I truly humbled. Pastor reminded me that I should not feel overwhelmed to serve the Lord as liturgist because all I’m called to do is invite the congregation to worship Him. It wasn’t my job to speak lofty language nor was it my responsibility to speak with the most eloquent words to grab everyone’s attention. All I had to do was invite others as a call to worship in His name. I took Pastor’s instructions to heart and set aside my natural tendencies. I didn’t try to be MRS. PERSONALITY while at the altar. I did not try to hype up my presence in front of everyone. I humbled myself, read only what was in front of me and in the Bible and reminded myself of why God called me there.

I was then so honored to be asked to share His word in the most simplest of ways. I was calm and not overly energetic as I usually am when in front of a crowd. I remembered it was all about the heart of worship…not about me or my love of words. My simple love of Christ and will to be used were all that I had to pull me through…and I believe the Holy Spirit worked through me and in me. For the first time, my prayer and presence weren't intended to change people's reaction to me. Instead, I was humbled enough to change myself by letting go and letting God work inside.

The words we speak may indicate
A heart that’s filled with pride;
But godly self-control displays
The Spirit’s work inside. — Sper

No comments:

Post a Comment